HOW to overcome FEAR
God tells us to “not fear” over 300 times in the Bible. Everyone has something that he or she fears. God gives us a verse in Isaiah which teaches us how to overcome fear. If you understand the truth behind these three statements, you will be able to overcome any fear.
- Face your fear with God.
- Faith empowers you to prevail.
- Faith sustains you during the storm.
FEAR only ONE THING
God tells us to not fear anything, but we are commanded to fear Him. Since perfect love drives out the fear of punishment, we know that the “fear of God” is a different kind of fear. What does it mean to fear God?
- Fear God with reverent obedience.
1. Were you afraid of anything in the list: spiders, snakes, agoraphobia, lightning, dogs, claustrophobia, heights?
2. What is your greatest fear? Part of the battle of overcoming your fear is to name it. Why do you have a fear in this area?
3. Read Isaiah 43:1-7. Discuss the reasons why we should not fear. Also, talk about the examples God gives to show people His faithfulness (i.e. pass through waters, rivers, fire).
4. What are these three passages teaching us (Psalm 118:6; Hebrews 13:6; Deuteronomy 5:5)? When we have God on our side, we should not fear the agenda of people. How do you actually put this into practice? How do you move from a place of fearing what other’s think to being obedient to God?
5. Read the story about Jesus walking on the water (Matthew 14:22-33). Why were the disciples so terrified? What took away their fear? What will take away your fear?
Applying the Bible
6. Ask yourself if any of these fears apply to you: unknown future; not being enough for someone; close relationships; appearing ugly to others; loneliness; rejection; making the wrong decision. How can you implement the truth of Isaiah 41:10 in one of these areas?
7. We show God that we fear Him by being obedient to His calling in our life. Many times, He calls us to face a fear so that He can be glorified when we overcome the fear. Are you listening to Him? Will you face a fear knowing He is with you?