The Gift of FAVOR
We are told that Mary was “favored” two different times in Luke 1:26-38. Have you ever thought about why God chose Mary? What was it about her that got God’s attention? Mary teaches us about God’s favor and how to open yourself up to this blessing by the way you live.
- Favored people walk in God’s presence.
- Favored people believe in God’s power.
- Favored people are God’s servants.
God’s FAVORABLE Blessing [Numbers 6:24-26]
God wants to place His favor upon you. Pray this over those you love every day. Pray this for yourself as you seek after righteousness.
The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace.
1. Have you ever felt the favor of God? Describe your experience with this overwhelming feeling of blessing. What were you doing when you felt God’s favor?
2. Read Proverbs 3:1-4. In verse four, we are told that we will win favor and a good name if we do what God wants. What are those actions which bring about God’s favor? In what ways is a good name and favor connected?
3. God has shown favor to many different people throughout history: Joseph (Genesis 39:3-4), Job (Job 10:12), David (Psalm 23:5-6), Jeremiah (Jeremiah 29:11). These men all went through difficulties and yet were still favored by God. Discuss how favor is not always being prosperous financially, but that favor is found when someone connects to the power and presence of God (cf. Psalm 5:12; 30:5).
4. What does it mean for a church to “enjoy the favor of all the people” (Acts 2:47)? What characteristics describe a church like this? Does Central Ministries enjoy the favor of the community?
Applying the Bible
5. Too many people want God’s favor for the wrong reasons. They want wealth and health, but not a personal relationship with God. What can you do to fight against the strong desire to only see God’s favor as financial or well-being?
6. Do you often doubt God like Zechariah, or do you have the mountain-moving faith of Mary? What can you do this week to show God that you truly believe that He is the God of the impossible!