2 Timothy 2:1-13
The TRUTH about ENDURANCE
In order to stand with the truth, we need to endure through the trials and sufferings of life. When life gets hard and you feel alone, it is sometimes easier to crumble to the pressure of this world and start to believe what the world teaches. That is why we must ask…how can we endure?
Focus on the goal.
We are given four examples of how to focus on the goal and one example to remind us about the character of God when we fail at focusing on the goal:
- Soldier…don’t get sidetracked.
- Athlete…live according to the rules.
- Farmer…hard work is rewarded.
- Martyr…be willing to die for Christ.
- Faithless…God forgives you when you fail.
The POWER for ENDURANCE
You must be able to carry your cross before you wear your crown.
1. Do you set goals? Maybe you don’t write them down but they are in the back of your mind. It appears that God desires that we are focused on certain goals in our life. What goals are most important to God? Are you focused on these goals?
2. Read 2 Timothy 4:7 and 1 Corinthians 9:23-27. Discuss further Paul’s analogies of “running” and “boxing” and what that means for us.
3. Read John 16:2-4. Jesus warned His apostles that an hour was coming when people who didn’t know the Father (or Him) would try to kill them. Jesus was talking about the persecution of the early church, but should we take this warning also that an hour is coming for us as well? Will we someday soon face death because of our belief in Jesus Christ? Are you prepared for this hour? Or will you respond like Peter did and deny Jesus? Remember, Peter was battling some serious confusion about his goals (Matthew 16:16-18, 21-23; 26:51:52; 69-75; Luke 22:31- 34).
4. What will it profit a man if he gains the entire world and yet loses his soul (Matthew 16:26)? Do you see certain people pursuing the wrong goals? Do you hear Jesus’ warning? What are the correct goals?
Applying the Bible
5. What are your goals in this life? Have you thought through them lately? Will you focus on them when life gets difficult?
6. Are you getting sidetracked by “good things” and yet you find yourself frustrated that you are not where you know God wants you to be in life? What “good thing” will you give up to stay focused?