EMPOWERED by the SPIRIT
When is the last time you have prayed for the Holy Spirit to give you the power to overcome something in your life?
- The Holy Spirit empowers our inner being.
The POWER of LOVE
Did you know that power is connected to love? But not just any kind of love; only the love of Jesus Christ empowers us. But we must grasp true love before we can realize the power it holds.
- The Holy Spirit empowers us to grasp Christ’s love.
- Christ’s love extends to all who repent.
- Christ’s love is lived out in the complexity of God’s virtues.
- Christ’s love fills us with thankfulness.
1. Why do you think the words “love” and “power” have been used exclusively throughout the years by so many people? What is the difference between the “love” the world offers and the “love” Jesus Christ offers? Why is the “love” of Christ so powerful?
2. Read Romans 12:9-21. The virtues of love are found in this passage. Discuss how love is greater than just compassion and how love is the hatred of evil and many other virtues. Why has our society turned love into something so one-dimensional?
3. Read Colossians 3:12-14. In verse 14, we’re told that love is the culmination of all virtues and binds the virtues together. Are you lacking in any virtues of love?
4. God is constantly asking us to be thankful (1 Chronicles 16:34; 1 Thessalonians 5:18; Colossians 3:15; Philippians 4:6; Psalm 100:4; Hebrews 12:28; 2 Corinthians 4:15). A true test of whether or not you are filling up with God is this: “How thankful are you in your daily life? Do you complain about your circumstances or do you overflow with thankfulness?”
Applying the Bible
5. Which virtue of love are you lacking in? Name it and focus on it. Don’t get overwhelmed with five different things you need to fix about yourself. Decide that you will be transformed by the Holy Spirit in this area of your life and start each day by giving the Holy Spirit control over this area of your life.
6. Have you ever doubted Christ’s love for you? Do you know someone who has doubted? What step can you take this week to show God that you believe in His far reaching care?