EL ROI: The God Who Sees Me
Does God CARE About ME?
In the story of Abraham and Sarah, there is a sub-story which often gets overlooked. It is the story of Hagar. If we look closely, we will see God teaching us something important about Himself. Hagar’s interact with the Angel of the Lord shows us three truths about God:
God knows everything about us and He cares about our problems.
God hears our cries for help.
God is present with us even when we feel abandoned.
Do YOU Care About OTHERS?
Jesus noticed people who were often overlooked by the rest of society. He perceived the real needs of the crowds, crippled people, the blind, and even lepers. If we are a follower of Christ, we must comprehend this principle:
Notice what people need.
1. Have you ever felt abandoned and alone in a dire situation and you needed God to show you that He still cared about you, and He did something to remind you of His love? Share your story.
2. Read 1 John 5:14-15. Discuss the importance of asking God for things that we know are His will. How can you find out whether or not something is God’s will?
3. Read Psalm 34:15-19. What does a righteous person look like? What are the behaviors and attitudes of someone who God considers righteous? Even though righteousness is a gift from Christ, there is a daily righteousness we all should have when we pursue the commands of God (1 John 3:21-22).
4. Allow these passages to comfort your soul (Psalm 86:7; 91:15; Jeremiah 33:3; Isaiah 58:9; 2 Chronicles 7:14). If you doubt that God is listening to you, hold on to these promises and wait patiently.
Applying the Bible
5. Decide that you will delight yourself in the Lord this week. Focus on God instead of the desires of your heart (Psalm 37:4). What will you do differently during this time to find delight in God?
6. Just as Jesus saw everyone’s needs, will you open up your eyes to others? Will you commit to caring about the people you come into contact with on a daily basis and show them that you are concerned about them? When is the last time you have asked someone how they were doing and you paused long enough to actually find out?