Don't GRIEVE the Spirit
The “FOOTHOLD” of SATAN
Who is in control of your heart? When you allow harmful thoughts into your heart, you are opening yourself up to Satan’s plan. Part of winning the battle against him is to know his strategy.
Satan’s strategy is to destroy us in our anger.
Bitterness holds onto a grudge.
Rage is a feeling of hateful passion.
Anger is a state of mind bent on revenge.
Brawling is physical hostility.
Slander is speech intended to injure.
Malice is focused on murder.
The “JOY” of the HOLY SPIRIT
As Christians, we should never want to grieve the Spirit, but instead we should desire to bring joy to the Spirit. How can we bring joy to God? When the Holy Spirit is in control of your heart, there are two main characteristics which describe you.
Speak life-giving words.
Forgive everyone of everything.
1. We have all grieved the Holy Spirit at some point in our life by the anger we have held in our hearts or the anger we have displayed towards others. How aware of your thoughts and words are you? Have you ever made a spiritual connection between the words you use and the joy or grief those words bring to God?
2. Read Psalm 19:14; Luke 6:35; Proverbs 18:21; 13:3; 15:4; 1 Peter 3:9; Matthew 12:36; Ecclesiastes 10:12; Colossians 4:5-6. Discuss how important words are to God. Even though words are invisible, ask yourself why they have such power to inflict hurt or give life.
3. Read 1 Thessalonians 5:16-22. In verse 19, we are told to not quench the Spirit. What does this mean in this context? Discuss what ignites a Christian’s heart (joy, fervent prayer, thankfulness, good).
4. Read Matthew 18:21-35. Do you forgive people of their lesser faults, but have a hard time forgiving the “big issues”, or do you hold a grudge for every little thing that happens?
Applying the Bible
5. Decide that you will only speak words that help others. How will you get to this place in your life? What must you change today so that you will be someone who benefits everyone by how you speak? Will you invite the Holy Spirit to take a hold of this area of your life?
6. Do you need to forgive someone of everything? Listen to the Spirit direct you to forgive someone who seems unforgiveable. Do something this week to show this person you have forgiven them.