Does Absolute Truth Exist?
DISCOVERING the TRUTH
Many people do not believe that absolute truth exists. The idea that everything is relative and every opinion should be tolerated is a popular stance today. But this has serious repercussions for society. Using the Gospel of John as a guide, we will journey through several “truth” statements which allow us to see that Jesus is the truth.
- Jesus came to testify to the truth.
- Jesus is full of grace and truth.
- Jesus will set us free to see clearly.
- Jesus is the way to heaven.
- The Spirit guides us away from sin.
- The Bible is complete reality.
The MOST IMPORTANT Question
Here it is: “Where will I go after I die?” The Bible assures us of our destination after death. There is an inward and outward action:
- Believe in the reality of the resurrection in your heart.
- Confess the reality of Jesus’ Lordship.
1. What truth would you be willing to die over before you would give in to the pressure to recant? Are you standing for truth in your workplace, your home, your school? Do others know what you believe? Do they sense your love for them?
2. Hebrews 4:12. What does it mean that God’s word is active and alive? How does God’s word penetrate to the deepest part of your being? Do you allow God’s word to judge your thoughts and the attitudes of your heart? How much time do you spend daily in the presence of God and His word?
3. Read 2 Corinthians 4:4; John 3:19-20; 12:39-40; Ephesians 4:17-19. What is your responsibility to those who are blinded to the truth? The next time you get frustrated with someone for unbelief, ask the Lord to give you grace to show a gentle love to them. How can you stand firm with a kind heart?
4. Read 2 Kings 22:1-20. The word of God had been lost for quite some time. When it was finally found, King Josiah responded in humility and repentance. When you read a Scripture that is contrary to your actions, are you cut to the heart and repent, or do you ignore the gentle whisper of God?
Applying the Word to Life
5. Focus on how Jesus sought after justice and delivered mercy. We have much to learn about how to internally balance grace and truth. Let this be your prayer this week: “God, fill my mind with unshakeable truth and my heart with overflowing grace.”
6. Pray the prayer of Psalm 25:5. Ask God to guide you to discern truth throughout the day. How often do you have hidden conversations with Jesus during the day?