FEELINGS during a TRADEGY
When we are not sure what the future holds for us, we often have inappropriate feelings that are contrary to the truth. This doesn’t mean that these feelings are not valid, but we need to face them and remind ourselves of the truth. Here are some of our main feelings during a trial.
- My prayers are being ignored.
- My heart is filled with bitterness.
- My soul is sad.
Discovering HOPE while you WAIT
If you are in the depths of despair, focus on these three actions. They are not easy to follow, but they will refresh your soul.
- Wake up to God’s lovingkindness.
- Wait on God’s perfect timing.
- Hope upon God’s goodness.
1. Have you ever waited on God for something, and because you faithfully followed His timing, you were blessed beyond what you could have imagined? Or, has there been a time when you stepped ahead of God’s timing and did something pre-maturely, robbing you of something good? Share a story about either scenario.
2. What prevents God from hearing our prayers? Read James 4:3; Psalm 66:18; Isaiah 1:15; 59:2-3; Proverbs 21:13; Micah 3:2-4.
3. Read through these psalms about having hope in God (Psalm 10:17; 27:13-14; 40:1-2; 43:5; 71:5-6; 130:5; 143:4-6). Discuss the importance in acknowledging your despair and yet holding onto the promise that God will help you in your time of trouble.
4. What and Who should we focus on when life falls apart (Hebrews 12:2-3; Colossians 3:2; 2 Corinthians 4:18; 1 Peter 5:7)? What are some ways that you have been able to fix your eyes on Jesus, instead of fixing your eyes on the problem?
Applying the Bible
5. Will you commit to praying these two prayers for the next 30 days? Every morning, the first thing you do is: (a) Lay your requests before God (Psalm 5:3) and (b) sing with joy about God’s love (Psalm 59:16). Get ready for a transformation in your heart and soul!
6. Is God asking you to wait on something He has in store for you? How will you show God this week that you are content with His timing? What can you do to display your trust of God in your everyday life?