Confronting the Lies we Believe
The Bible presents God’s plan for human relationships. The Bible also documents some history about homosexual behavior and gives commands in the OT and NT about how humans should live sexually.
- Homosexuality reverses God’s plan for sexuality.
The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel (2 Corinthians 4:4). Satan is the great liar and wants believers to hate sinners, but we must rise above hatred and live in the tension of truth and love.
- The lie is us against them; see the real enemy at work.
What Would JESUS do?
If Jesus physically walked this earth today, He would undoubtedly follow this principle:
- Everyone knows where you stand, but you overflow with loving hospitality.
The magnificent colors we see in the sky represent two main things in Scripture (Genesis 9:12-17 and Revelation 4:3):
- God’s glory and grace.
Personal and Group Study
1. Discuss the 3 different lenses people use to make decisions about whether or not something is wrong. How much does our own experience or what we hear from the world affect our interpretation of Scripture?
2. Both the Old Testament and New Testament seem to clearly call homosexuality sin (Genesis 19:5; Judges 19:22; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; 1 Timothy 1:9-10). Read these verses and discuss why certain Christians ignore these straight-forward passages about homosexuality when deciding whether or not it is an acceptable lifestyle.
3. Discuss the difference between struggling with a sin and pridefully celebrating a sin.
Applying the Bible
4. Are you struggling with homosexual desires? Please contact the church office so that a pastor can minister to you and lead you to a professional Christian counselor if desired.
5. Is there a sin that you are struggling with that you need take care of before you judge someone else’s sin (1 Cor. 6:9-11)?
6. How can you teach your children and grandchildren that the homosexual lifestyle is wrong and at the same time help them show love to those who arrogantly flaunt their behaviors?
7. If you have a gay friend or relative, how can you show him or her love and at the same time stand up for your convictions? What does it mean to support a person but not support sin?