Can the BIBLE change my life?
The BIBLE: God’s WORD
The authority of the Bible has been under attack in the U.S. Church. Pastors, professors, and church members are questioning whether or not the Bible is actually God’s complete word to humanity. Some have re-interpreted certain passages, while other leaders have proposed removing the Old Testament, and some even state that the Bible is filled with errors. These four truths from Hebrews 4:12-13 will help equip us with the wisdom we need to have faith in God’s words spanned throughout 66 books, 40 authors, and 1500 years.
- The Bible is a living-breathing story of God’s plan to redeem our fallen creation.
- The Bible operates on our hearts if we give it permission.
- Convicts us of sin.
- Encourages us with hope.
- Directs us in the righteous path.
- The Bible proves the supernatural accuracy of God’s sovereignty.
- The Bible is our daily guide for accountability.
Study and Discussion Questions
1. Have you encountered anyone in your life who is skeptical of the trustworthiness of the Bible? How have you answered them? What would you tell them now after this sermon?
2. Daniel predicted the four kingdoms which would rise and fall over a span of hundreds of years (Daniel 2:37-40). For example, Daniel predicted the rise of Medo-Persia 67 years before it happened (Daniel 8:20) and the rise of Greece 275 years before it occurred (Daniel 8:21). How does fulfilled prophecy confirm that the Bible is God’s word?
3. Discuss the absolute accuracy of Messianic prophecies in the Bible: Jesus’ birthplace (Micah 5:2; Mt. 2:5); Jesus’ scourging (Isaiah 53:5; Mt. 27:26); no broken bones for Jesus (Ps. 34:20; John 19:33); Jesus’ clothing divided (Ps. 22:18; Mt. 27:35).
4. Discuss how the Bible is profitable for us (2 Timothy 3:16-17). The purpose of inspiration is to teach, reprove, correct, restore and train in righteousness. Study each word in v. 17.
Applying the Word to Life
5. When Jesus was tempted, He stated that humans live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God (Matthew 4:4 quotes Deuteronomy 8:3). Not “some words”, but “every word.” Do you believe that every word of the Bible is inspired by God? Why is it important to believe in “every” word? Commit to reading the Bible each day for 30 days. Also, think about how you can apply it to your life during the same day.
6. If you are struggling with a dark area in your life, find a Bible verse and shine that verse on your sin. Apply it and watch it convict, heal and ultimately restore you to new life.