Be the Church
What comes to mind when you think of the word “Church”?
What the CHURCH IS NOT
1. The church is not a building, though a building can be used by a church.
2. The church is not a denomination, though a set of beliefs should be important to a church.
3. The church is not about Sunday, though a church should not forsake meeting together.
4. The church is not about one person or personality, though a church should be pastored.
5. The church is not about size, though every church should experience growth as they make disciples.
What the CHURCH IS- Ephesians 2:19-21
Jesus Christ is the cornerstone.
Ekklesia- Greek word for church. It is defined as an “assembly” or “called out ones”. God’s household is not a building, but a group of people.
The church is the body of Christ!
What the CHURCH DOES- Acts 2:42-47
1. Ministry to God
2. Ministry to believers
3. Ministry to others
The church is not an it, it’s an us!
Implications for Central Ministries
Small Group Questions
1. What comes to your mind when you think of the word church? How is this similar to or different than the biblical definition of church?
2. What other metaphors does the Bible use to describe Christ and His church? For example, the Church is the Body and Christ is the Head!
a. I Timothy 3:15
b. Colossians 1:13
c. I Peter 2:9
d. I Peter 5:2-4
e. II Timothy 2:3-4
f. Ephesians 5:22-32
3. What is the purpose and mission of the church of Jesus Christ?
4. As you think about Central Ministries, in what ways are we good at being the church and in what ways do we need to grow at being the church?
5. Pray for one another as you attempt to be the church this week- pray for boldness in sharing Christ and an understanding of how God can use you in the body at Central.