Baptism - Identity Series
How is a person made right with God?
God created us to be with Him, Psalm 100:3.
Our sins separate us from God, Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23.
Sins cannot be removed by good deeds , Isaiah 64:6.
Paying the price for sin, Jesus died and rose again, Romans 5:8.
Everyone who trusts in Him alone has eternal life, John. 3:16, Romans 10:9, I John 1:9.
Life with Jesus starts now and lasts forever, John 10:28.
The Great Commission
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
Historical Perspective on Baptism
• The Greek word in the English language for baptism is baptizo, (βαπτίζω) which means to wash, dip, submerge, or soak.
• Part of a Gentile becoming Jewish would be to go through a ceremonial washing.
• John the Baptist’s message - Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near!
• Jesus gets baptized by John the Baptist.
What does Baptism Mean at Central?
1. Baptism follows a personal declaration of a new association.
2. Baptism is a public declaration of a new association.
3. Baptism is not a condition of salvation; it is evidence of salvation.
4. Baptism symbolizes union with Christ in His death, burial, and
Small Group Questions
1. Have you ever been baptized? Tell about your experience.
2. Why did you decide to be baptized?
3. Read the story from Acts 8:26-39 about Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch.
a. From reading the story, why do you think the man chose to be baptized?
b. From this story alone, what could you establish as the conditions for someone to be baptized?
4. Read Matthew 28:19, 20; Acts 2:41; Acts 8:12; Acts 10:47, 48; Acts 18:8.
a. What do these verses say about water baptism?
b. Who is it for and when does it need to take place?
Taking it Home
5. Read I Corinthians 12:13 together. When we are baptized, we are identifying ourselves with Christ’s church all over the world. How do you think baptism is different in our country vs. other countries? (One idea is that there is more persecution so there is more at stake for a believer taking a stand in another country).
6. Baptism is one way that a person can publicly identify themselves as a follower of Jesus Christ. What are some other ways that this can be done?
7. Pray together in your group that God would open doors of opportunity to share your faith with the people around you.