FEARING the VOID
One of the greatest fears people have is wondering if they have significance in their life. Some people search their entire life for a purpose. Sadly, many people try to fill the void with everything except God. Zacchaeus teaches us about a surprising gift from God.
- God gives us the gift of disillusionment.
Jesus promises to give us a full life if we follow Him (John 10:10). If you want to experience an abundant life, then there are two realities you must embrace. These two characteristics described Jesus’ life.
- Genuinely care about individuals.
- Generously give in extraordinary ways.
The PRICE of JERICHO
The city of Jericho has a long history. For example, a man named Hiel chose power and a chance for fame over his children. Ask yourself this question before you make the same mistake as Hiel:
- “What good is it for me to gain the whole world, yet forfeit my soul” (Mark 8:36)?
Study and Discussion Questions
1. Zacchaeus was thankful that Jesus loved him enough to be “the guest of a sinner” (Luke 19:7). Do you stretch yourself in order to care for people who are far from God? Before you were a Christian, was there someone who befriended you and that made a difference in your decision to follow Christ?
2. As you prepare to share your faith, pray for:
- Alertness to opportunities (Colossians 4:3).
- Love for the worst of sinners (1 Corinthians 13:1).
- Others to see Christ in you (John 13:35; Matt. 5:14).
- Boldness to speak up (Acts 4:29-31).
- Power (Ephesians 1:18-19; 6:10).
3. Read through 2 Corinthians 8:1-15. Why should we be moved to generosity? Understanding how the Macedonian church gave out of their poverty (8:1-2), what does that mean for you in your personal giving? Do you excel in this “grace of giving”?
Applying the Word to Life
4. This week, when God gives you a burden to share your faith with someone, do it. Stop hiding your light. Stop waiting for the perfect timing. Start sharing your faith as God gives you an opportunity.
5. Do you know of someone who is filling their void with everything except God? What can you do this week to show them where true happiness resides?
6. Ask God to give you a desire to care for someone. After God has revealed their name, start by caring for their needs. Eventually, in God’s timing, share the gospel.