Woman at the Well
AGAINST the FLOW
Jesus traveled to a specific spot to meet with someone who was not an acceptable person according to the culture He grew up within.Jesus makes a statement to everyone by what He did.
- It should be behoove us to walk against racism,
supremacy, and prejudice in order to present
the good news to everyone.
The LIVING WATER
The woman at the well was caught in a cycle of fear. She feared being shamed, which led her into isolation from women, and she feared being alone, which led her into bad relationships with men.
- Fear drives us to thirst for false intimacy.
- Jesus alone satisfies our deepest thirst.
- Live out the truth of the invisible realm.
SPIRIT and TRUTH
When you open up your heart to the spirit and you allow the truth of Jesus Christ to infiltrate your thinking, you will be convicted that Jesus Christ is:
- The savior of the world.
Study and Discussion Questions
1. Have you ever thought about how Jesus fought against racism, supremacy, and prejudice? The woman at the well listened to Jesus because He broke through social barriers and loved her unconditionally. Do you fight against the polarization which is happening in our society today? Do you love everyone?
2. Read about Nathaniel’s prejudice (John 1:46) and the crowd’s prejudice that the Messiah should not come out of Galilee (John 7:41-44). Why do people seem to have a natural bias?
3.Read about the living waters which flow from God (John 7:37-39; Jer. 7:13; Zech. 14:8-9; Rev. 7:13-17; 21:6-8; 22:1-2).
4.The woman at the well feared the shame of her lifestyle. She went to the well at noon to avoid contact with other women. What does the Bible say about shame (Isaiah 61:7; 54:4; Psalm 34:4-5; Romans 10:11; Zephaniah 3:19; Romans 8:1; Joel 2:27)? According to God’s word, none of us who follow Jesus should allow shame to reside with our hearts. Do you ever?
Applying the Word to Life
5.The woman at the well feared being alone. She thought that she needed someone to make her happy. Then she met Jesus and He taught her that she was looking for satisfaction in all the wrong places.This week, meditate on these verses and remember that Jesus is always near you no matter how you feel. (Is. 41:10; Dt. 31:8; Ex. 33:14; Mt. 28:20)
6. As you walk, drive, explore your world this week, be mindful of ways you can worship God right where you are at. What can you do to experience God’s presence daily?