The Sin of Comparison
There is no win in comparison
- “A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.” Proverbs 14:30
Where comparison begins, contentment ends!
Comparison makes you feel either superior or inferior- neither honors God!
- Comparison leads to pride, insecurity, envy, and jealousy
Who or what is going to define my worth?
- Hebrews 12:1-2: If your answer is anything other than Jesus, you are running a race that you will never win! Run your race!
You need to take your cue about you from the one who made you, loves you, and redeemed you!
Small Group Questions
1. If you could trade lives with any person, who would it be? Why them?
2. Be honest. When is the last time you compared your life to someone else’s? How’d that go?
3. Read 2 Corinthians 10:12. What or who do you most often measure yourself or your family against? What’s that doing for you?
4. “Where comparison begins, contentment ends.” Why do you think it works this way?
5. How do you currently define your worth?
6. If Jesus defines your worth, then who are you and what are you worth? If you completely adopted this mindset, what would change
7. Read 1 Corinthians 9:24-26. What prize are you running to win? What purposeful steps will it take to get there?
8. Write down and share your next purposeful step in one of these areas: family, finances, serving, health, work.
Here is a helpful prayer to pray:
Heavenly Father, forgive us for selling You short by comparing our lives to others’. Holy Spirit, help us fully embrace the race You have already marked out for us. Keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, and show us how to run with purpose. Amen.