The Shield of Faith
Many people use a Fitbit to track their activity. The idea is to increase the number of steps taken daily in order to gain physical strength. It could be called an Activity Tracker! To increase your faith you need a Faith Tracker! The Apostle Paul writes about the armor and the Shield of Faith. Eph. 6:10-18, “PUT ON” (the uniform), the Belt of Truth, Breastplate of Righteousness, and Feet fitted with the Gospel of Peace. In addition “TAKE UP” (the equipment), the Shield of Faith, Helmet of Salvation, and the Sword of the Spirit.
WALKING by FAITH—WHAT is FAITH?
- Saved by grace through faith, Eph. 2:8-9.
- We live by faith not by sight, 2 Cor. 5:7.
- Hall of Faith, Bible stories of “Faith Trackers,” Heb. 11:1-2.
- Each story told is “tracking” faith steps.
WEARING the ARMOR—The SHIELD of FAITH
- The large 2’ X 4’ shield protects the body.
- The turtle formation is for protection.
- The shield extinguishes “all” the flaming arrows.
- The Act of Faith becomes a shield for these God fearing men.
- Daniel 3, Three Hebrew young men
- Luke 5:1-11, Peter
WEARING the SHIELD GUARDS against the ENEMY’S ATTACK
- Active faith protects households and the church family.
Study and Discuss
The Armor of God by Priscilla Shirer
Stay balanced as we pursue a lifestyle protected by the SHIELD of FAITH.
Draw a line to connect the reference with the corresponding truth, promise, or directive that describes that Godly lifestyle.
- Deuteronomy 31:6 Forgive
- Philippians 4:6 Watch what you say and how you say it
- Romans 13:1-2 Flee from sexual immorality
- 2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be bound in a relationship with an unbeliever
- Ephesians 4:29 Be grateful instead of anxious
- 2 Corinthians 2:7 God will never leave your side
- Malachi 3:10 Go to church
- 1 Corinthians 6:18 Submit to and respect authority
- Hebrews 10:25 Tithe
Circle any of the issues in the chart above that might apply to an area of your life now or in the past. Answer the following questions: Have you responded in obedience to the truth revealed in the Bible? Why or why not?
Have you allowed your feelings to override your commitment to obey?
If so, what has been the outcome of following your feelings?