The Power of Prayer
Jesus established a model for “LIVING OUT” our FAITH. He was patient with those he served, spent much time in earnest prayer and came to earth for the ultimate purpose of saving people from their sins. Jesus should be our model for life! Practice a repeated performance of an activity to acquire efficiency.
PRACTICE being PATIENT by LOOKING to the LORD.
- Patience—perseverance, endurance, a God-given restraint
- Consider those who have waited. (Biblical—Job, prophets today)
- Cast your eyes on the Lord. (Hebrews 12:2,3)
- Claim Bible promises. (Romans 8:28)
- Call on the Holy Spirit within you.
PRACTICE PRAYER by CALLING on THE LORD.
- Prayer for the troubled, happy and sick.
- Anointing with oil? In the name of the Lord.
- Elders, spiritually mature believers, pray “over” him.
- The prayer of faith—Prayer offered in faith believing, not doubting. (James 1:5-7)
- The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
PRACTICE RESTORING PEOPLE by POINTING THEM to the LORD.
- Restore people who have wandered from the truth. (Galatians 6:1, 2)
- Restore people who have fallen into sin.
- Restore (rescue) people who have never yielded to Jesus.
Study and Discussion Questions
1. Share an illustration of you practicing patience. Has the ongoing practice helped you become more proficient? Share a spiritual aspect of your life that needs practice.
2. On a scale of 1-10 regarding patience (10 being very patient) where would you rate yourself? In what areas of life do you struggle with being patient? What have you discovered that helps you with your impatience?
3. Study the role of the Holy Spirit as your Helper:
- Helps you love (Romans 5:5)
- Empowers you with a spiritual gift
- A partner in prayer (Romans 8:26, 27)
- Praying “in the Spirit” (Ephesians 6:18)
4. Additional study regarding anointing with oil:
- For the tabernacle articles and priests (Exodus 30:22-33)
- To anoint Prophets and Kings (1 Kings 19:16, 1 Samuel 10:1, 1 Samuel 16)
5. Study and discuss the hindrances to answered prayers:
- Isaiah 59:2
- James 1:6-8
- 1 Peter 3:7
- Luke 18:9-14
6. What should we be praying for?
- Philippians 4:6
- Matthew 9:38
- Matthew 6:10
- Ephesians 3:14-19
Applying the Word
7. Compose a written prayer led by the Holy Spirit that expresses the deepest desire of your life right now.