Sword of the Spirit
We believe the Bible is inspired by God through the Holy Spirit for instruction in salvation and training in righteousness. The Word of God is fully reliable, infallible and trust-worthy. (2 Tim. 3:14-17) Take the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. (Eph. 6:17) The Bible is the book to fight our FOE!
TAKE UP the SWORD
- The Roman Swords—a long sword and a small 2 foot, fearsome weapon.
- Double-edged sword:
- Used for defense and offense (Heb. 4:12)
- Training is needed:
- Get a grip on your Bible
- Inductive Bible Study Method: Observation, Interpretation, Application
- The Roman soldier would never lay down his sword.
The SWORD of the SPIRIT
- Who is the Spirit?
- What does the Spirit do?
- Counselor, with you forever (John 14:15-17)
- Spirit of Truth to guide (John 16:13)
WHICH IS the WORD of GOD—For You!
- The Spirit of God and the Word of God—WHAT A COMBINATION!
- It’s the Word of Truth
- So you’ve PURCHASED a Bible—Have you opened its PAGES and claimed its POWER?
- What does the Bible say about:
- Your attitude, sins, relationships, un-forgiveness, peace-making telling the truth, prompting to share the gospel
The “Discovery” Method Bible Study
Use this scripture and apply each step. (Psalm 119:9-16)
- Discovering what the Bible says.
- Recreate the text
- Observe and record content—identify, location, purpose, key words and ideas, atmosphere, etc.
- Observe and record structure
- Record questions
- Discovering the Biblical meaning.
- Discern which questions to pursue
- Define words
- Compare translations
- Investigate related Scripture, cross-reference columns
- Discovering the Biblical Word for your life.
- Let the passage speak to your personal thoughts, feelings, attitudes, desires, intentions, etc.
- Identify with the passage
- Confess your sins
- Hear the Good News
- Hear the prophetic Word
- Submit obediently