Spirit of Hope
The GOD of HOPE
People continue to live because they have hope. When all hope is lost, despair sneaks into the human heart and destroys our ability to see a better future. This is why God’s hope is vital for us.
- The God of hope fills us with joy and peace.
God’s Hope Fills us with PEACE
In this life, Christians have three relationships and we must strive for peace as much as it is possible in these relationships. People become hopeless when they lack peace in one of these areas.
Peace with God.
Peace with self.
Peace with others.
God’s Hope Fills us with JOY
How does one discover joy in their life? What must be realized in order for someone to truly rejoice in God at all times?
- Happiness is an emotion, and joy is an attitude.
- Emotions come and go, but attitudes come and grow.
- Joy is discovered and developed in God’s presence.
1. Why is hope so important for the human heart? Why do some Christians lose hope? Have you ever been in a place in your life when you have felt hopeless about a situation? How have you dealt with this feeling?
2. Read Proverbs 15:17. Many people believe that they will be more happy when they are wealthy, but don’t consider how important “people” are to the quality of life. Have you ever felt what this verse is teaching?
3. Why is it important to God to strive for peace (Romans 12:18; Hebrews 12:14; 1 Peter 3:9-11; Psalm 34:14; Ephesians 4:3)?
4. How much do you pray for peace (2 Thessalonians 3:16; Philippians 4:6-7; Isaiah 26:3)? Do you not have peace because you have not asked for peace?
5. Discuss the joy that only God can give and how it is connected with God’s presence (Psalm 16:9-11; Matthew 25:21,23).
Applying the Bible
6. If you have ever felt despair, what have you done to find that hope again in your life? Is there a step you need to take today to find peace and joy? What does that step look like?
7. Are you at peace with everyone? If not, why not? If they refuse to be at peace with you, then you can give it over to God. But if you have not done your part, then you need to seek them out and privately work out your differences.
8. Be more aware of your changing emotions this week. Be more aware that you are developing a lasting attitude and you want that attitude to reflect joy. How can you develop more joy?