Meaning of the Passover
FIRST PASSOVER to the FINAL PASSOVER
The Passover is one of the greatest historical events for a Jew because it represents their deliverance from Egyptian slavery. Every year, for the past 3,400 years, Jews have celebrated this weeklong festival. But for the Christian, the final Passover occurred around A.D. 30. Jesus fulfilled the Passover and has delivered us from sin and death.
- Jesus is the slain lamb.
- Jesus had a bitter end.
- Jesus’ body was broken.
- Jesus’ blood forgave us.
BLOODY DOOR of PROTECTION
If the Jews wanted to be safe, they were to place blood on their door way and stay inside behind their door the entire night. The “door” has significance throughout the story of God.
When God has to destroy something,
He delivers those behind the door.
We can trust God that Jesus’ blood
will protect us from future judgment.
- Our society has become sterilized and does not understand the reality of blood. Discuss the kind of world Jesus lived in and how the families would personally slaughter and sacrifice their own animals. Talk about how 250,000 lambs would be slaughtered for the Passover week during Jesus’ day.
- Read through these verses to realize how important the blood is for our faith (Acts 20:28; Romans 3:25; 5:9; Ephesians 1:7; 1 Peter 1:18-19; 1 John 1:7; Revelation 1:5; 5:9).
- Read Leviticus 7:26-27. Why do you think the Jews were not allowed to eat any meat that had blood in it? Could the answer be found in Genesis 9:4-6 and Leviticus 17:13-14? What does the phrase "life of every creature is its blood" have to do with Jesus Christ's death on the cross for us?
- Discuss the places God gave safety to His people: Ark (Genesis 7:16); Lot’s house (Genesis 19:10); Rahab’s house (Joshua 2:19); Jesus’ sheep fold (John 10:9). Can you think of any other places in Scripture where a door was important?
Applying the Word to Life
- Which side of the door are you standing on right now? Are you relying on the all sufficient blood of Jesus Christ to protect you and your family, or are you outside the door wandering around outside of God’s will? What will you do this week to show God that you are on the right side of His door?
- If Jesus' blood protects you from the final judgment, then what step will you take to show God how thankful you are that He will never hold your past against you?