God…give me a NEW HEART
STANDING in the GAP
The foundation of Israel’s society was crumbling physically and spiritually. The walls of civilization were broken and large gaps were formed. God was looking for someone who could stand in the gap to build back up that which was destroyed. We have the same problem in the United States today. What does it mean to stand in the gap? We stand in the gap when are given a new heart (and help others receive a new heart) by living out 2 Chronicles 7:14.
- If my people, who are called by my name,
- NEW HEART
- will humble themselves
- and pray and seek my face
- and turn from their wicked ways,
- I will hear from heaven
- and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
- NEW HEART
Study and Discussion Questions
1. In what ways does God need to heal our land in the United States? What will it take for this nation to seek the face of God? What are some of America’s greatest sins? Discuss how God judges both communities and also individuals. In the Bible, entire communities (i.e. nations) are judged, but we are more accustomed to thinking about sin as personal.
2. Read Zechariah 7:11-12. God compares rebellious hearts to stone. What will soften a heart that is hardened by sin? Read Psalm 51:1-12 and note how David asked for a pure heart.
3. The hearts of sinful humanity are so hardened that we cannot seek God on our own (Romans 3:11). Therefore, as Jesus said, no one can come to know Jesus unless the Father first draws him (John 6:44). Discuss the times when the Holy Spirit has gotten ahold of you and convicted you of your sin.
4. Read Malachi 4:2; Jeremiah 17:14; Revelation 22:2. In what ways will God heal us when we are given a new heart.
Applying the Word to Life
5. Do you need a new heart? Will you commit to following 2 Chronicles 7:14? How will you humble yourself? Will you seek God’s face by praying Jeremiah 24:7? How will you show God that you have repented?
6. As a nation, we need to turn from the wickedness of abortion. There is a movie called Gosnell that will help show you the large gap in our nation right now. Go and see it. Let God speak to you and “wreck” you through that movie. And then ask yourself: what am I going to do about it?