The POWER to OVERCOME
If you study the life of Jesus, you will notice that He is constantly able to overcome every obstacle in His way. Jesus overcomes temptation, other people’s jealousy, rejection, loneliness, disbelief, and death. Believing in this truth will give you the power to face any trial:
- Jesus has overcome the world.
The TROUBLE with this WORLD
If you live long enough, you will encounter horrible evils. It seems like every day we witness the effects of sin. Jesus states clearly:
- You will have trouble in this world.
Finding PEACE in this WORLD
Jesus wants us to experience two types of peace:
- You can find eternal peace in Jesus Christ.
- You can find daily peace in Jesus Christ.
1. As you think about this new sermon series, which of these “issues” do you seem to struggle with the most: worry, fear, jealousy, consumerism, apathy, a critical spirit? How will you prepare yourself to overcome this “issue” in your life?
2. Read about the seven churches in the book of Revelation and how they were all told to “overcome” in their daily walk with God (Revelation 2:7; 2:11; 2:17; 2:26; 3:5; 3:12; 3:21). In what ways are we supposed to overcome?
3. Read 2 Corinthians 4:8-9; 1 Peter 5:8-10; Psalm 34:19. What should be our response when we have troubles in our life? How do you handle these troubles?
4. Read 2 Thessalonians 3:16. Have you ever prayed for God to give you peace? Have you ever prayed for someone else who is special to you to experience God’s peace? What does it mean for us to have peace at all times and in every way? Does it have anything to do with God’s presence?
Applying the Word to Life
5. Do you have God’s peace? Have you taken the step of salvation that Pastor Jeremy talked about? Do you believe in your heart that Jesus is alive and have you professed that Jesus is the leader of your life? Are you a Christ-follower?
6. How can you experience lasting peace on a daily basis? What can you start doing this week to exhibit a peaceful heart during your waking hours? What needs to happen in your life for you to wake up peaceful and then to fall asleep peaceful?