Filling of the Holy Spirit
WHY does the Spirit FILL us?
The filling of the Spirit has been happening for centuries. In both the OT and NT, men and women who followed God were filled with the Holy Spirit for a specific reason. The reason was always the same:
The Holy Spirit fills us to accomplish God’s plan.
WHAT is God’s ultimate PLAN?
Have you ever wondered what your main responsibility is on this planet? Do you wonder why you exist? When you become a Christ-follower, you recognize that:
God’s plan is for us to proclaim the good news.
WHO needs to HEAR the GOOD NEWS?
People are poor when they try everything but God. People are held captive by their own sin and are in a prison that is leading them to hell when they don’t notice God. People are heartbroken when they don’t comprehend that they can turn to God. People need the Lord:
The good news has the power to save the sinner.
WHEN should we SHARE our HOPE?
The Lord’s favor points us towards the year of Jubilee. During this 50th year, debts were cancelled and slaves were set free. After the year of favor, God’s judgment will come; therefore we must:
Help others find God’s favor before it is too late.
1. What are your initial thoughts about becoming a multi-site church? Are you excited? Do you have any concerns?
2. Discuss this statement: “We can do a lot more together than we can apart. The power and synergy of an interconnected network of churches held together through vision and values is far greater than the disconnectedness of our present system.” Talk about how many churches compete with each other and how multi-site helps us all realize that we all have the same purpose and that is to reach people for Christ.
3. Read Acts 15. It appears that the early church was multi-site in many regards. The church in Jerusalem seemed to hold authority over some of the other churches in the region (15:23). In this account, we see that there was one vision that flowed out of the Jerusalem church to the other churches.
4. Read 1 Corinthians 12. Discuss how God wants to use all the gifts in the church. Have you ever thought about the concept of combining churches so that the various gifts and resources can be used to further the kingdom of God?
Applying the Bible
5. Now that you know about the multi-site idea, spend time praying about it as a group or personally. Seek God’s will in this endeavor. Pray to see if God would like you to have a role in this new venture. Pray for each congregation to show humility as transitions take place. Pray for God to be glorified.
6. Can you sense when you feel the filling of the Holy Spirit? Be more alert to the stirring of the Spirit in your heart this week. What can you do to be open to the Spirit’s leading?