Leviticus 16; Hebrews 10
The Day of Atonement [for the Jew]
- The word atonement means “to cover over.”
- God wants to be with us,
but we must be clean in order to be with Him.
- The two goats represent two realities about God:
1. God pays for our sin with His own life.
2. God removes our sin so that it will never return.
The Final Day of Atonement [for us]
- Jesus Christ fulfilled the Day of Atonement:
- Jesus is the High Priest (Hebrews 9:11).
- Jesus is the final scapegoat (Hebrews 10:10).
- Jesus sat down at the Father’s right hand (Hebrews 10:12).
- Jesus made us perfect (Hebrews 10:14).
1. Why do you think most Christians know so little about the Jewish roots of Christianity? So much of Christianity is the fulfillment of the Old Testament, and yet many Christians spend so little time connecting the dots of Jewish festivals (i.e. Day of Atonement) and Jesus Christ. Why is that?
2. The Jews believed that the final judgment would come on the Day of Atonement. Interestingly, the Day of Atonement started with a trumpet blast and the final day of judgment will start with a trumpet blast (1 Corinthians 15:52; 1 Thess. 5:16; Revelation 8:6). Discuss the significance of the trumpet.
3. Read about how Jesus is at the right hand of the Father (Acts 7:55-56; Romans 8:34; Ephesians 1:20; Colossians 3:1; Hebrews 1:3; 8:1). This is a position of authority that is only worthy for Jesus. How, therefore, should you approach Jesus in your prayer life? Do you show awe and reverence?
Applying the Bible to Life
4. When is the last time you have done a complete examination of your life? As you examine yourself, what sin(s) do you need to place upon Jesus (your scapegoat) so that He can remove these sins from you?
5. Do you view yourself as a “sinner” or as a “saint”? Many of us can relate more to being a sinner, and yet God is constantly calling us saints. What steps can you take this week to focus on how perfect and pure you are in God’s eyes? What can you do to help yourself realize that God is not deeply disappointed in you, but He wants a close relationship with you?